Advertisement

Temple FD looks to expand technology to prevent fires following a kitchen fire at station

Updated: Jun. 21, 2021 at 5:45 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TEMPLE, Texas (KWTX) -Fire station #5 in Temple has fire damage in the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the building after a kitchen fire Saturday evening because a stove was left on.

“We are human, we forget too,” Santos Soto with Temple Fire & Rescue said.

“Even though we tell the public all the time to be mindful of what they are cooking and what they are doing in the kitchen, it happens to all of us.”

Soto says it can be easy to forget when responding to an emergency when second matter.

“These guys are busy on a day-to-day basis running calls, busy with classes and different trainings that they do,” Soto said.

That’s why there’s technology to protect our first responders that kicks in automatically when a call comes in.

“It’s connected to the radio system through the Bell County dispatch and when the station picks up that bump-out tone, the radio sends that to a little transponder that shuts off the equipment,” Soto said.

The gas and the power to the kitchen equipment shut off, preventing incidents like the one at Station #5.

“If that oven and that stove would have shut off automatically then the crew would not have had the situation they had,” Soto said.

Currently, the Temple Fire Department has two stations with this technology and soon hopes to have it installed in each and every station.

Officials say they want to remind everyone of the importance to remain vigilant and double-check stoves and other appliances to avoid incidents like the one that happened at Station #5 from happening to you.

Copyright 2021 KWTX. All rights reserved.