Man charged in murder of Belton toddler told detectives he struck boy ‘hard enough to break some ribs,’ affidavit states

Published: Oct. 22, 2022 at 5:29 PM CDT|Updated: Oct. 22, 2022 at 6:17 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BELTON, Texas (KWTX) - Jay Isiah Allen, 33, charged with capital murder, assault causing bodily injury of a family member, and tampering with evidence in the killing of 3-year-old Quintavious Trejo, allegedly admitted to striking the boy “hard enough to break some ribs,” an arrest affidavit obtained by KWTX states.

On Saturday, October 22, police officers responding to a welfare call were flagged down by a frantic woman who led them to the location of the toddler’s body in a wooded area in Belton.

“The officer observed the young victim was lying face down in the brush,” an arrest affidavit obtained by KWTX states. When officers examined the body, they noticed it was stiff and showed signs of violent trauma, the document further states.

Three women at the scene where the boy’s body was found all identified themselves as relatives of the victim and Allen. They “all had a similar statement that Allen had been making phones calls the night before and that day about how he messed up badly,” the arrest affidavit claims.

According to investigators, Allen contacted a family member in Fort Worth and “admitted to making a mistake.” The family member and other relatives drove to Belton to meet with Allen at a truck stop. Allen, the affidavit states, then directed relatives to a wooded area in the 1300 block of W. Avenue O, near his residence, where they could find the boy’s body.

The family members were initially unable to locate the boy’s body and brought Allen back to the scene. The affidavit states Allen then led his relatives to the body, and when one of his relatives said they were going to call police, Allen “jumped into their vehicle and took off, leaving them there.”

Belton Police issued a Be on the Lookout alert for Allen Saturday afternoon. Officials say Hillsboro Police officers spotted him on I-35 around the 367 mile marker and say Allen gave chase.

The fiery wreck on I-35 near Itasca
The fiery wreck on I-35 near Itasca(Courtesy Image)

Eventually, Allen lost control of the vehicle he was driving and crashed at I-35 North and FM 67 North of Itasca. According to the Hill County Sheriff, the vehicle immediately erupted in flames and Allen was trapped. They say officers and deputies fought through the flames to pull him to safety.

Sources tell KWTX the suspect was taken to Hillcrest Hospital where he remained as of Monday evening.

Back at the scene where the victim’s body was found, relatives told police investigators that Allen admitted he became frustrated while changing the victim’s diaper and struck the boy because he was crying.

Allen waived his Miranda Rights and agreed to speak with investigators, the affidavit reveals.

The document states that when asked to described how hard he struck the child on a scale of 1-to-10, Allen told investigators he struck the child once in the chest with a force of 4-to-5. “Allen eventually admitted to that he may have struck the victim hard enough to break his ribs,” the affidavit states, but “denied striking the victim in the face.”

Allen allegedly told investigators that after striking the victim, he left the child with other children inside the home. The children would then alert Allen that the victim was “acting funny in his sleep and making noises,” the document states.

Allen said he immediately went to check on the victim, who “appeared to be having a nightmare” and whose legs “were moving as though he were running from something.”

Allen, the document states, rubbed the victim’s back and they both fell asleep. Later that night, Allen got up to use the restroom and noticed the victim was not breathing. Allen claimed he immediately performed CPR and called relatives for help before grabbing the boy and running out of the house.

“Allen claims he fell while running and dropped the victim and then just left him there and kept running,” the affidavit states.

KWTX reached out to Temple Police officials after learning Allen has an extensive criminal history.

Officials confirmed the following:

- On October 5, 2021, Temple Police Department officers responded to a verbal domestic call involving Allen.

- On October 12, 2021, Temple Police Department officers obtained a warrant for Allen for assault causing bodily injury to a family member.

- On March 15, 2022, Allen was arrested by Fort Worth Police Department offices on a warrant for assault causing bodily injury to a family member.

- On August 14, 2022, a report was filed on behalf of Allen’s wife regarding a violent domestic incident.

Online jail records show Allen is being held on bonds totaling $2.8 million.